Friday 29 June 2007

Ginger's Guide to Commuting in the Midst of a Terror Alert

  1. Discover that an area of central London is closed off due to the discovery off a bomb.
  2. Realise that this will cause chaos for the part of your journey that involves the tube or a bus.
  3. Look out the window. Note that it's bucketing down. Rule out walking.
  4. Think, 'Sod it', and go back to bed until the rush hour and rain are over.
  5. Proceed with journey as normal, experiencing no difficulties at all.

Glad to see I'm not the only Londoner feeling fairly unconcerned about things.* You have to just get on with it really. Otherwise 'they' will have won. Whoever 'they' are.

For what it's worth, I reckon that Haymarket wasn't the intended target. I mean, I once had a not very nice evening in Tiger Tiger, but I don't think it's bad enough to be detonated. I personally reckon the car was headed for somewhere more prominent (Westminster?) but that the bomb started to malfunction (reports say the car was found filled with vapour) and the driver got scared, dumped the car and ran. We shall see.

Ginger

*If anything I'm more upset by the news that, when I documented my failed attempt to visit Fopp last week, it seems more was afoot than mere stocktaking. The chain has closed permanently. :-(

No comments:

© Advancing Gingerly 2007-2009