Thursday 21 June 2007

Unusual Snail Mail

I got a letter through the post yesterday from the British Humanist Association. They were trying to get me to support them both ideologically and financially. It is probably the strangest bit of unsolicited mail I've ever received.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against Humanists as such. I might even be a follower, if I wasn't a monotheist. But unless someone convinces me that this Jesus bloke was just a myth and Him upstairs doesn't exist, I'm not planning a change of ideology anytime soon.

Jehovah's Witnesses aside, I can't recall ever having come across a comparable marketing drive from any other belief system (certainly not 'from the top' anyhow). I can't for the life of me fathom where I must have ticked some box that got me on their mailing list in the first place. Perhaps I am registered somewhere out there as being a scientist, and the erroneous assumption was made that this indicated I was likely to be disinclined towards Theism. From whence my invitation sprung forth, I may never know, but I feel tempted to paraphrase Groucho Marx and suggest that "I refuse to belong to any club that will accept [Richard Dawkins] as a member." ;-)

No comments:

© Advancing Gingerly 2007-2009